Friday, May 9, 2014

Druids: The Baddest of Bad-Asses


Kevin Hearne has completely grabbed my attention lately. The author of the Iron Druid series, Hearne is an avid comic book fan and Star Wars geek; clearly we're kindred spirits. I fell in love with this series after my fiancé bought me Hounded, the first in the series, for Valentine's Day. The writing is fast paced and the main character, Atticus, is witty and completely irreverent to the many gods and goddesses he meets.

Hearne is an Arizona native, and that is crystal clear while reading these books. In one of the hallmarks of good urban fantasy, Hearne makes sure that his readers know exactly how to picture the location in his books. After reading the first few books in the series I was dying to visit Arizona, much like my desire to visit Rome after reading Angels and Demons.

Reading this series will make anyone feel like an expert in ancient world religions, and let you realize just how pathetic we all are at pronouncing words in Gaelic. If you like urban fantasy you will love the Iron Druid series. I know I can't wait for the seventh book, Shattered, to be released. I just wish Hearne would be making a tour stop in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment