Friday, May 23, 2014

The Very Best of Tad Williams

Cover Illustration courtesy of Net Galley

The Very Best of Tad Williams is a short story anthology that was recently published. I was lucky enough to get my hands on an electronic advanced reader copy and I'm glad I did. There are 17 short stories in the book which have been previously published in other places. I've got several Tad Williams books waiting on my shelf, but I haven't gotten a chance to read any yet so this was my first Tad Williams experience.

I can't say I loved all the stories. I've read very few short story anthologies, so I don't have much reference for the overall quality of the set, but there were definitely a couple of stories I really liked. My personal favorite was The Storm Door.  The story is about paranormal researcher Nate Nightingale. He goes to visit his uncle, who got him started in his trade, to discuss the troubling trend he has noticed lately of people coming back from the dead. He relates how his research, which included a trip into death with a dying man's spirit, points to the chilling realization that the people aren't coming back from the dead. Their corpses are being possessed by the restless dead. As he is telling this story to his ailing, ventilator dependent uncle, I could see the final plot twist coming. Even so, I was surprised when it really came to pass and the story left me shivering.

My other favorite story was The Stranger's Hands. This tale starts with a man who has lost his marbles granting people their heart's true desire with a touch of his hand, and ends with a very powerful statement about human nature when one of the world's greatest wizards and a hero to the people has a darker true desire than one would think. I won't spoil the story because it is certainly worth reading for yourself.

I don't know if these stories are truly the best Tad Williams has to offer. I know he is a considered a master of fantasy, but short stories are very different to write well than full novels. I enjoyed the book and I now have a new drive to get to some of those Tad Williams books on my shelf. I think that means this collection does its job well.

No comments:

Post a Comment