Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Vanguard: Open Secrets


Cover Photo Courtesy of Goodreads

I just finished book 4 of the Star Trek Vanguard series, Open Secrets, and I was really pleased. The book is a jumping off point for the second part of the Vanguard story. At the end of the last book the Federation learned of the terrible threat posed by the alien Shedai after several members of Starfleet, and one down-on-his-luck reporter, witnessed the destruction of the Jinoteur system.

Most of the new plots in this book were introduced at the end of the previous volume,  what I had described as an extended epilogue. Commodore Reyes' trial is a big part of the story, as is the battle being waged within T'prynn's mind. We learn more about the Federation's bid to learn about Shedai artifacts and the book is interspersed with interludes from the point of view of the Shedai Wanderer.

I thought this book had a nice mix of action and storytelling,  especially after the rapid pace of the last book. I guessed at a twist ending that I envisioned, and while I was right about what happened I was way off on how it happened. I'll let you read what it is for yourselves. If you've never read a Star Trek book before I think the Vanguard series would be a good place to jump in. It's fun and doesn't require you to know what's going on in the TV sites or other books first.

I'd jump right into the next one but I promised myself I would read Seven Forges by James A. Moore next before it's sequel comes out. Look for a review of that one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment